Thursday, April 12, 2012

No stamp images were harmed in the making of this card...

This last month I've had a few twists and turns with my style, trying out a few new things at the workshop I run, and also digging through all my old forgotten materials in my long lost stash of a craft space (see here lol).

The current Stampotique Designer's Challenge... Oodles of Doodles led me to making something very sketchy.



You may recognise 'Stella' from my range at Stampotique Originals. But on looking more closely you'll be able to see the difference- this is what Stella usually looks like....




For this challenge I chopped Stella in half and doodled a different lower half for her. I was aiming for a longer graceful body (I wish it was this easy in real life lol). I got her to sit more upright too then she could hold the butterfly. Then drew her a set of wings...



and doodled the area surrounding her whilst watching tv using a fine black waterproof pen. I added Daisy Daisy, Swirl Stalks (which are from my range at Stampotique and Janet Klein's Crow Line.

The colour was added with watercolour pencils. I use cheap Tesco ones, they do the job, for now anyway.

This style reminds me of how I used to draw when I used to keep a sketch book. I should start using one again I think, great for developing ideas.

Please check out all the other doodled contributions over on the Stampotique Challenge. To enter and be in with a chance of winning a $30 gift certificate all you need is a single Stampotique image in your stash to doodle around!(it's Stampotique stamps only nowadays don't forget).

Hope you like what I did...its strange working with stamps that I drew in the first place, I still haven't got used to it.

26 comments:

Inkypinkycraft said...

A stunning card, love the softness and gent less you have created! Wish a revamp of the body was as easy!!! Just a beautiful and serene piece, love it hugs trace x

Sid said...

Lovely work Jo, lovely pastel colours !

Helen said...

It is no wonder your stamps are as fabulous as they are, when you can draw like this... love your altered Stella!! Your card has such a soft feel to it.

Cath Wilson said...

Gorgeous, Jo - love, love, love that image but every time I go to get it, it's sold out! Will this one be a stamp, too? Maybe a good idea? Love it and really like your doodles and sketching. Please do start journalling again x

anna christensen crafts said...

Jo, this is exquisite! The image is wonderful and your doodling is perfect - this is the loveliest thing I have seen since I started blogging!
Imagine that as a design on a tin... Now there's a thought!

Willy said...

Love the new Stella! Great ddodling, Jo!

Carmen said...

She's beautiful. You make it sound so easy :)

MUST make it to one of your workshops!

Kaz said...

I wish I could draw!! Love this card . New stamp?? x

Netty said...

Beautiful illustration. Are you going to market her as a stamp in this position....... Annette x

Marja's Stamp Addiction en Marja's Creativity said...

GORGEOUS WORK Jo. Great composition and great soft colors. LOVE it.
Lovely greet
Marja

Unknown said...

This is truly amazing. Stunning colours and it's great that you generously share your talent and show how to change one of your gorgeous stamps into a 'one off' original.

It's utterly beautiful

Basement Stamper said...

Love what you did with her, very pretty and feminine!

Cynthia Schelzig said...

I love this fairy and the atmosphere you created with your background.

theboelemas@aol.com said...

You completely rocked this!!! Love what you've done with her - do I see a new stamp in the making?! :D

Claire xxx

Siobhan Brignull said...

'tis nice me dear, glad you liked tag, LOL that I didnt put name on LOL

Gery said...

Beautiful, I say:"A new Stella is born".
Very creative to bend the stamp this way and I love everything with wings. You did a great job at your background too.
It's almost a page from a fairytalebook.
XGeryX

Sue said...

This is beautiful Jo, your card is so soft and gentle, and the public has spoken - we need Stella mark 2 in rubber lol x

Anonymous said...

Wow this is a real stunner Jo! Love every little detail of it!

Gez Butterworth said...

Scrumptious ♥

Eloise said...

I love what you did with stella so she could hold the butterfly. Your whole piece is just perfect! I also agree that this new stella would make a wonderful addition to your line of stamps.

Katy said...

Lovely, so wish I could draw...

Nigel said...

I like this stamp, but would happily buy Stella Mk 2 to go with it :)

Paula J Atkinson said...

I love the composition of this piece & the soft colours are beautiful & dreamy. Stella is on my wish list for this year!

thekathrynwheel said...

Wow, this is very very clever! I am in awe at your ability to alter the stamp like this. And the crow line along the bottom is just perfect :-)

Vicki G said...

Ha!!! Gorgeous!!!! Bet your fingers got inky though!!! xo

Valerie H. Marshall said...

Jo, you are amazing!!!
This is absolutely stunning!!!
I'm in awe of your drawing talent...
Val :)